contact

about me

Monday, January 24, 2011

Response to The Wellingtonian Editorial 20th January

I have been accused of being anti-car in the latest Wellingtonian. Here is my response.

Dear Sir

In spite of your assertion that I’m anti-car in your editorial on motorbike parking (20th January), this is not correct. What I am opposed to is: needless deaths and accidents on our roads, increased greenhouse gas emissions from the road transport sector and the waste of billions of taxpayer dollars on irrational and uneconomic new roading projects.

Your editorial is factually incorrect to say that I voted to limit weekend car parking to two hours in Thorndon, in fact I voted against this proposal both at Strategy and Policy and Full Council. I did not support a drop off zone at a Brooklyn school because I think we need to get serious about children walking to school (given we are one of the most over-weight countries in the world) and felt some modest charges at Anderson Park were appropriate to ensure turnover of parking spaces.

The discussion around motorcycle parking is at a very early stage. More analysis and consultation needs to be done. I do not have a view on this issue at this particular time and wait with interest to hear what the public has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment