contact

about me

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mt Victoria News update - April 2014

As I write this piece, Council is making good progress on protecting the Town Belt. The Environment Committee which I chair has just agreed to consult on a long awaited bill to achieve this end before it goes to Parliament. One issue that will be hotly debated is whether Council can negotiate with organisations like NZTA to swap Town Belt land for other land in the city. At the current time, we are unable to do this. Given the Town Belt is right on our door-step, I’m sure there will be a lot of interest.

Child safety is very much on my mind as I work with locals and the organisations around Mt Vic to improve safety around Hawker and Marjoribanks Streets. Feel free to get in touch if you have any ideas about how to make our streets safer.

At the time of writing, Council has just heard submissions on whether there should be a building at Kumutoto on the waterfront. Whilst I think the building is a vast improvement on the previous design, I remain a little disappointed that the design is not a bit more iconic and for a public use, rather than a private one.

I’m very proud of the efforts of locals and others around the city as they present evidence against the flyover at the Board of Inquiry. They have been effective and the Board appears to be giving all parties a fair go. Fingers crossed the Board will listen and make the right call.

Photo courtesy of stuff.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment